- I want to be like her.

Thursday Oct. 21st I awoke to my niece and nephews screaming and running down the hall. In my head I thought, ok I guess I should get up now... I got up to play with these kids and then head out to do some shopping with Mom. It wasn't long (we were still on Gary way) before we had to change our plans. Long story short we ended up not doing what we had planned and ended up getting lunch and heading over to grandpa and grandmas.
When we got there it was obvious grandma wouldn't be here much longer, I didn't realize it would be while we were there. I had the kids in the kitchen when heather came in saying, "Michelle, I think grandma just died."
Shocked, I got up and went with her into grandmas bedroom. There we all were; watching her, crying, not sure what was happening. Dad offered a prayer and as we all held hands, we wept. It was a beautiful prayer, the spirit was there to help her leave. Once finished we all watched her body take it's last movements and finally lay there still and lifeless.

We wept. I wept. Oh, how I love her. I have always loved who she has been. She is who I have always wanted to be like. A wonderful house wife and loving mom! She dedicated her life to her husband and children, and eventually her grandchildren and great-granddhildren. I have always wanted to be like her and I pray that one day I will get an opportunity to do that.
When I think of her I think of a woman who knew who she was and who we all are. Children of God, she beamed the Love of God for all to see. I have always wanted to be more charitable, it's something I want to be more than anything. As we sat there around her body, Marcia said, "You know the one word that describes her best would be Charity." I couldn't agree more!!

I sang to my grandma when I would go and stay with her. I have lost any talent I might have had by not practicing, but when I was singing to her she told me it was beautiful and that she loved me. I am grateful for those little moments when she was here to help me. My favorite hymn is number 220, Lord I would follow thee. It's about Charity, it's about my grandma. I asked if we could sing that at her funeral and we will. I hope people feel the connection between the words and my grandmas life. I love you grandma and am grateful for the life you led! Thank you!
Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that thou hast shown, Pause to help and lift another, Finding strength beyond my own. Savior, may I learn to love thee- Lord, I would follow thee.
Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly? In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can’t see. Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow thee.
I would be my brother’s keeper; I would learn the healer’s art. To the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart. I would be my brother’s keeper—Lord, I would follow thee.
Savior, may I love my brother as I know thou lovest me, find in thee my strength, my beacon, for thy servant I would be. Savior, may I love my brother—Lord, I would follow thee.

Love you Grandma
Well said, my dear! She DID love you! And so do I!!!! Thanks for sharing!! So grateful we were together!
ReplyDeleteThat was a beautiful dedication to Grandma. You have a lot of Grandma in you SHelly! I love you and glad that we could be there as a family at this time in our lives. We are all very blessed to have one and other. Love you so much.
ReplyDelete