George Gershwin was the topic at the Utah Symphony this past weekend! It was a great performance. I learned a few things, I usually do there, about this composer. I had no idea that some of my favorite pieces were his!
They performed: S'Wonderful from Funny Face- Fred Astaire sings it in the movie, Someone to watch over me from Oh, Kay!, Selections from Porgy and Bess including Summertime- whom I thought was originally sung by Ella Fitzgerald, Just another Rumba from The Goldwyn Follies, and I Got Rhythm- who I thought Barbara Sreisand did an amazing job with!!
I didn't know he composed Porgy and Bess, scores in An American in Paris, and Shall We Dance. Of course he composed 'Rhapsody In Blue' which was inspired by a train ride in New York City. P.S. If you didn't know this, but Rhapsody In Blue is on Fantasia 2000. It's wonderful- I love FAntasia and Fantasia 2000! I hope they do another one. Well truth be told, I wouldn't know that peice had it not been for Fantasia... Just so you know.
It was a neat concert! Go Support the Utah Symphony and Utah Opera.

No comments:
Post a Comment