I taught last week about Mormon. He was an incredible person and someone I admire. We talked about his strengths and what he taught us. One of the things that the scriptures mention (a few times) was that he was quick to observe. We really didn't talk about it very much and moved on. After class, Blake (a member in my ward), come up to me and talked a little more about this principal. He said he once read a great talk by Elder Bednar called, 'Quick to Observe' and that I should read it.
I wrote it down and said I would.
Well I did! And I loved it! It's truly remarkable how the Lord works. He can help you by having someone else help you. I needed this talk and I needed to read the these words.
Here but here are some of those parts that meant to most:
..."we discover things we should and should not do, and we realize more completely the kinds of people we should and should not become.""Your future success and happiness will in large measure be determined by this spiritual capacity."
..."he was looking for an eternal companion who had the courage to promptly and quietly obey the counsel of the prophet in all things and at all times."
"Simply stated, being quick to observe is an antecedent to and is linked with the spiritual gift of discernment. ...discernment is a light of protection and direction in a world that grows increasingly dark.... being quick to observe is a prerequisite to and for the gift of discernment."
"Possessing and exercising this gift they will not allow any evil influence to enter into their hearts or to prompt them in their thoughts, their words or their acts. They will repel it; and if perchance such a spirit should get possession of them, as soon as they witness it's effects they will expel it or, in other words, refuse to be led or prompted by it."
"Discernment is so much more than recognizing right from wrong. It helps us distinguish the relevant from the irrelevant, the important from the unimportant, and the necessary from that which is merely nice. ...Discerning is hearing with spiritual ears and feeling with the heart."

No comments:
Post a Comment