03 July, 2011

Peter and Christ

Lessons Learned:
-Peter walks on water!
If you had ever sat in on any of my R.S. lessons you probably know how much I LOVE this passage of scriptures! It's beautiful, inspiring, hope and faith building, and truly amazing. I had read this story many times and just this last week found some new perspectives.
If you are unaware of the story of which I am speaking of please read it (Matthew 14:24-33) here.
We typically talk about how 'little faith' Peter had, but often don't respect him for the HUGE amount of faith he actually had! PETER WALKED ON WATER~ Peter has had more faith than most. Peter the fisherman, the one whom Jesus loved, followed the example of Christ.
We also focus on when Peter takes his eyes off of Christ, is when he starts to sink. I agree, but I think it was more than just his eye on Christ. Peter looked around, he saw the wind, the waves, and probably realized, "I'm walking on water! I can't walk on water!" Peter started to doubt, or lose confidence in himself. He knew he could walk on water too because Christ asked him to come, but he doubted himself. How often does that happen to you?!
One more little tidbit of thought is, it never tells us how Christ and Peter got back to the boat once Christ 'saved Peter'. I choose to believe that Christ helped Peter, and they walked back together.

I love this new perspectives! I thought I'd share with you some of the things I'm learning about!

No comments:

Post a Comment