09 May, 2011

Cooking class with Sis. Wortley

Lessons Learned:
-Homemade soup!
-How to hold a knife
-I love Bread!!
Sis. Wortley showed me how to make soup today (April 29). It was easy and REALLY good!!
Here is the recipe:
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces lean ham, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
8 cups peeled and coarsely chopped potatoes (russets or Yukon golds, about 3 pounds)
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese
3/4 (3 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
1.Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ham, onion and carrot, saute 10 minutes. Cook, covered, 10 minutes. Add potatoes and broth: cover and simmer 20 minute, or until the potatoes are tender.
2. Pour half the soup into a food processor and process until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Add cheese and cook until cheese melts. Add milk until desired consistency is reached.
Makes 11 Cups: serves 7
Okay she had already started the bread but let me help form it, score it,bake it, and take some home. This was some Yummy artisan bread. I don't have the recipe, so when I get it I'll post it.
While I was chopping the carrots I was holding the knife wrong. So she showed me how. This is how you hold your knife. This soup was really good and I want to try and make it soon!
We also made this 'sticky pudding cake'. It's Kate Middleton's favorite. It was really sweet and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment